Nothing says romance quite like candles. Whether they are being used for an intimate dinner, a relaxing bath or to enhance the atmosphere in a cozy bedroom setting, the soft flickering light of candles creates an ambience that is undeniably romantic.
Romantic candles come in all shapes and sizes. The setting and the way in which the candles are used contributes more to the romantic atmosphere than the shape or size of the candle. However, there are some shapes that stand out such as:
- Heart shaped candles
- Rose or flower shaped candles
- Lip shaped candles
- Tapir candles
- Round candles
Color can affect a person’s mood and has been scientifically studied in the aptly named psychology of color. Colors that stand out for romantic candles include:
- Red- Most shades of red are associated with romance, vitality and love. Red is also the most common color associated with hearts and roses, which are two iconic symbols of romance.
- Burgundy/Maroon- Although very similar and reminiscent of fine wine, these two distinct colors share a common base of red mixed with blue to deepen the tone. The subtle variation comes from a third undertone of black for burgundy and brown for maroon.
- Pink- A lighter shade of red made by adding a touch of white, pink is associated with young, innocent or new love.
- Purple- This color of royalty also represents passion and creativity.
- White- A color that represents innocence and purity, white is associated with weddings and natural beauty.
- Black- While seeming morbid or gloomy for some, black can also invoke a sense of mystery and romance. Black can be both submissive and empowering. Black candles alone may appear too dark and foreboding but mixed in with bright shades of red or purple, they can create a striking contrast.
Scent is one of the most powerful triggers of emotion and memories. Certain smells can evoke strong emotional responses when linked to pleasant memories of comfort foods, locations and life experiences. Scented candles can be used as aromatherapy♂ to relax inhibitions or stimulate passions. Scented candles should never be used during a meal, as they would certainly interfere or compete with the scents and flavors of food. However, scented candles are perfect for a relaxing massage or soak in the tub and enhancement for a romantic bedroom setting.
Sweet smelling candles can wet an appetite for passion just like any other aphrodisiac. Some of the most romantic food scents include:
- Warm sugar
What isn’t romantic about the smell of fresh cut flowers or a garden in full bloom? Top romantic floral scents include:
- Cherry Blossom
Some people are more stimulated by exotic scents that might evoke memories of a great vacation abroad or inspire fantasies of getaways yet to come. Scents like this can include:
Sometimes you can find your favorite cologne or perfume infused into a scented candle. This is a great way to fill your bedroom with a scent that turns you or your partner on. Examples include:
- Cool Water
- Beautiful by Estee Lauder
- Light Blue by Dolce and Gabanna
- Chanel No. 5